Good morning, it's it's Saturday, August 22. U.S.-Canada trade talks collapsed Friday night, 50% tariffs kicked in at midnight, and both sides are blaming the other for killing a deal that seemed done three days ago.

Also in today's issue: Ground beef tariff pause, SNAP enrollment plummets, Ballroom gets high court stay, FBI seizes Swalwell's devices.

PS—Was this forwarded to you? Join The Bluebill here. Or forward this to a friend.

No Deal at Midnight

If you went to bed Friday night thinking the U.S. and Canada had a deal, you weren't alone — three days ago, President Trump said they did. By 11:47 PM Friday, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney pulled his negotiators out and sent them home to Ottawa. At 12:01 AM Saturday, 50% tariffs hit roughly $20 billion in Canadian imports — dairy, wine, furniture, clothing, toys, electronics, building materials.

Here's where this lands at your kitchen table. Yale's Budget Lab estimates that tariffs already in place cost the average American household about $1,100 per year. Consumer prices have climbed 3.4% over the past twelve months, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics — outpacing wage growth. These new duties target the stuff families buy every week — groceries, home repair supplies, children's clothing. If you spend money on any of those, you're in the math.

Now look — the tool being used here is worth understanding. The White House imposed these tariffs under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, better known as the Smoot-Hawley Act, the Depression-era law many economists blame for making the Great Depression worse. Section 338 has been on the books for 96 years, and no president has ever used it to impose tariffs. It lets the president act by proclamation alone — no investigation, no hearing, no public comment period. Energy products and critical minerals were carved out. The goods families depend on were not.

The blame game went both directions. U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Canada "declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week." Carney countered that "last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal." Neither side has made public what those final sticking points actually were — which tells you neither wants voters looking too closely at how close a deal really was.

Here's the honest truth about who pays for this standoff. Carney has vowed to match tariffs "dollar for dollar," which means counter-tariffs on American exports are coming. That's the cycle that makes trade wars costly for both sides. American manufacturers who sell into Canada will feel pressure. Canadian producers who ship south will raise prices or lose business. Consumers on both sides of the border pick up the check.

The deeper concern is the precedent. Section 338 bypasses every procedural guardrail that normally exists in trade law. No court has ever ruled on its limits. A separate clause even allows the president to escalate from tariffs to a full import ban. Whether that power survives a legal challenge is an open question — but it's the tool this administration chose, and the door it just opened. Watch the coming days closely: whether back-channel talks restart before the damage spreads, and whether legal challenges to Section 338 gain steam. The question of whether a Depression-era statute can bypass modern trade law is heading toward the courts, whether this White House wants it there or not.

In partnership with lendingtree

Overpaying for car insurance? Find out.

Find out if you have the best deal. Compare multiple car insurance quotes on LendingTree.

Please support our sponsors!


In other news that matters

President Trump on Friday waived out-of-quota tariffs on 300,000 metric tons of imported ground beef for 90 days, promising prices 25% below current levels. Ground beef averaged $6.89 per pound in July, up 19% from a year ago, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. The U.S. cattle herd has dropped to 86.2 million head — its smallest since 1951 — after years of drought and rising costs. Cheaper imports sound good at the checkout line, but the National Cattlemen's Beef Association warned the move would undercut domestic ranchers rather than help them rebuild the herd. Two Republican senators from cattle-heavy states joined that criticism. The White House hasn't said which countries will supply the beef, how the promised discount will be enforced at retail, or what happens when the 90 days are up.

SNAP enrollment dropped more than 13% in twelve months — from 42.2 million recipients to 36.6 million — a pace the Congressional Budget Office didn't project until 2030. The primary driver: work requirements under the One Big Beautiful Bill Act, signed in July 2025, which require most adults aged 18 to 64 to work, volunteer, or train at least 80 hours per month. Arizona saw the steepest decline — 55%, with over 400,000 people losing benefits. In Phoenix, LaDiamond Lopez lost her coverage in January and has been skipping meals to make sure her children eat. Advocates warn the losses ripple outward — SNAP enrollment helps determine eligibility for school meals and WIC, the nutrition program for mothers and young children. The Arizona Department of Economic Security says overwhelmed agencies and new paperwork demands are also pushing out families who still qualify.

Chief Justice John Roberts on Friday stayed lower-court orders that would have halted construction of Trump's White House ballroom, allowing the project to continue while the Supreme Court weighs the case. Both a federal district court and the D.C. Circuit ruled that Trump lacks the authority to build the 90,000-square-foot structure without Congressional approval. The estimated cost now tops $400 million — despite Trump's repeated claims taxpayers wouldn't pay. A 250-person crew has been working 20-hour days, seven days a week on the former East Wing site. The National Trust for Historic Preservation, which brought the lawsuit, warned the court that the administration is trying to "outrun judicial review" by building so fast that stopping becomes pointless.

FBI agents seized former Rep. Eric Swalwell's iPhone and laptop at San Francisco International Airport on Saturday, then searched his Washington, D.C., home the next day — all tied to a federal probe into sexual misconduct claims against the California Democrat. Court records show the search warrant cites a federal civil rights statute used to investigate public officials who abuse their position. Multiple women have made allegations; Swalwell resigned from Congress in April. Separately, state Sen. Aisha Wahab won the special election Thursday for Swalwell's CA-14 seat, becoming the first Afghan American member of Congress. Her swearing-in will bring the House to 218 Republicans, 213 Democrats — a five-seat margin with no room for defections on party-line votes.

THE NUMBER

5.6 million

Americans who lost SNAP food assistance in the past twelve months — a decline the Congressional Budget Office didn't expect to see until 2030. New work requirements, expanded paperwork, and overwhelmed state agencies have outpaced the government's own estimates by four years.

P.S. Should the U.S. be imposing 50% tariffs on Canada? Hit Reply — one word is enough.